Feb 8: Proverbs
Solomon wrote the book of Proverbs, which offers practical advice for living wisely. Solomon could have asked God for anything, and he asked for wisdom. God made Solomon the wisest man who had ever lived, and people came from all over to listen to his wisdom (1 Kings 4:29-34; 10:1-9). Proverbs is a collection of wise sayings from King Solomon but we know that all wisdom comes from God. (Proverbs 2:6).
Proverbs 1:7 says: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
12 times in the book of Proverbs Solomon reminds the reader that the fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom and a good life.
I encourage you to read through the book of Proverbs and to learn from Solomon how to live a good life.
Here is a bit of wisdom found in the book of Proverbs:
- Proverbs 16:18 – Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before stumbling.
- Proverbs 3:5-8 – Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your body and refreshment to your bones.
- The fear of the Lord
- Proverbs 1:7 – The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- Proverbs 14:27 – The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, that one may avoid the snares of death.
- Avoiding the fear of man
- Proverbs 29:25 – The fear of man brings a snare, but he who trusts in the LORD will be exalted.
- Receiving Instruction/Criticism/Wisdom from Others
- Proverbs 12:15 – The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who listens to counsel.
- Proverbs 15:32 – He who neglects discipline despises himself, but he who listens to reproof acquires understanding.
- When life gets hard
- Proverbs 18:10 – The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe.
- When God and I disagree
- Proverbs 21:3 – To do righteousness and justice is desired by the LORD more than sacrifice.
- Most important of all
- Proverbs 4:23 – Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life.
Comments are closed.