By the time you read this we will have been 7 Sundays in to our new normal of worshiping on-line, connecting via Zoom, and generally, reorganizing our lives to cooperate with all efforts to control the virus outbreak. We are sure you have had questions about how we have adapted to the very real financial challenges that all of us are facing.
First, we have been humbled and filled with gratitude that our weekly giving has, thus far, remained stable. We realize this is the work of God alone in growing disciples among us; disciples willing to trust God even in times of great uncertainty. We realize that you are counting on the Leadership Board along with our staff to steward carefully the resources we have.
Secondly, we are so grateful for the leadership of Pastor Geoff and our entire staff team who have done some very heavy lifting in these last weeks. Their work to move church on-line – worship services, prayer time, community connections, podcasts – has been phenomenal and a great blessing to us. Please shoot them a message, or a phone call telling them how much they are appreciated.
Here are some other things we would like you to know:
- At Pastor Geoff’s suggestion we have established a Finance Action Team to provide extra advice and oversight during this time. This team is comprised of Pastor Geoff, Dwight Fritzler, Sheila Friesen, Cindy Smith, Richard Beswitherick and Phil McFarland. We praise God for the gift of these people.
- Staff immediately took action to reduce our operating budget to 66% of approved levels without affecting staff salaries or missions support.
- Government of Canada benefits have been assessed and accessed quickly. The ones that we qualify for are being used with efficiency and currently are giving us a 10% wage subsidy.
- Custodial staff have been laid off and guided toward appropriate government aid. The CERB program has been very helpful to them.
- Currently all staff in ministry positions have been working fervently. This is being evaluated with care, compassion and for efficiency.
- In the providence of God, we finished our last fiscal year (2018-19) with a budget surplus. This has provided some financial breathing room for this time.
- We have expanded our Benevolence fund significantly in anticipation of the need. We take serious the direction that Jesus gives us to take care of the poor and needy.
- Our giving vs. expenses will be continually monitored. While we are hopeful and confident that God will continue to provide all our needs, further cuts may be necessary and we have created contingencies if needed.
Would you pray for the Leadership Board and our amazing staff in the coming months? Because of your giving we are confidently reaching out and meeting needs in our community. We are making a difference.
Here are some things to pray about:
- Praise God for a renewal in our prayer commitment.
- In these last weeks, while adjusting to virus upheaval, staff have been drafting the budget for ministry year 2020/2021! Pray for great wisdom.
- Please pray for people in our church and in our city that are facing financial stress and social pressure during this difficult time. Pray for eyes to see when help is needed and hearts of compassion.
- Pray that people would come to know Jesus during this time, and our people would reach out confidently.
Hear God’s Word to us:
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.